Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dress Code for Success!

Sperries. V-necks. Vera Bradley. Uggs. All necessary items. But the real eye catcher that Baylor beauties flatter their features in are the Nike athletic shorts. This particular article of clothing is completely multi-faceted. Not only are Nike shorts used for working out, they are now seen as cute, comfortable, and the most important article of clothing to purchase before attending Baylor! They come in a variety of colors, so you never have to be in that awkward situation of wearing the same thing as your best friend! Here's the kicker, if it's chilly outside, just throw on some leggings under the shorts and you have yourself a chic Baylor gal outfit. Baylor's campus is sprinkled with gals in uggs and nikes, sperries and nikes, v-necks and nikes... I'm seeing a fabulous trend here!
I <3 Nike.
I was on a plane from Austin to my home in Loveland, Colorado casually conversing about various topics with the two men sitting beside me, as passengers do on airplanes. They had both attended Texas universities and after telling them of my current Baylor status they explained that based on my appearance, they couldn't tell. Offended, I asked why, and they humorously claimed that Baylor girls are “dull, unkempt, and uniform.” Nike shorts and uggs were, in fact, mentioned and scrutinized.

Maybe it’s my background of public schooling, my Colorado roots not meshing with the South, or just my subconscious tendency to rebel, but I don’t understand Baylor’s uniform epidemic. Exhibit A: I strapped on my Spanish high-heeled boots, hat, and scarf and was distastefully analyzed for rejecting -- drum roll -- “the code” (minus a front desk lady who used “euro-chic?” as a compliment?).
EURO CHIC?
I say be yourself. If you love Nike shorts, well, by golly, wear ‘em. If you like high-heeled boots? Well shoot, where those with ‘em if you want, just know they will hurt the feet of the not high-heel trained. Appearance is an expression, your first impression on anyone, revealing personality, characteristics, background…
I’ll leave you with these two quotes to ponder:

“We are discreet sheep, we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.”
                        -Mark Twain

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
                        -Coco Chanel

If all else fails, tell someone how their Nike shorts compliment their hair, eyes, t-shirt, skin tone, vera handbag... girls eat that stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment